beauty, Belief, Bipolar, Choices, Culture, Faith, Health, hope, Humanity, Life, Love, Meaning, mental illness, Pain, People, Perception, Persistence, Personal, Philosophy, Reflection, Struggles, Thought, Truth, Video
Hi guys! Here’re my outline and practice videos for the speaking event tonight – got’em done JUST in the nick of time!!
SILENCE THE STIGMA – MENTAL HEALTH TALK
Overcoming Mental Illness & Substance Abuse through Self Acceptance
— Marissa K. Varcho —
April 24th, 2014
INTRODUCTION — No object is so beautiful, that under certain conditions, it will not look ugly. Oscar Wilde
- HATING MYSELF FOR BEING DIFFERENT – The suffering society causes upon those who are different & the downward spiral into substance abuse spurred therefrom.
- GETTING HELP – Working through the mental-health system in order to find an effective mental health medical treatment team.
- HITTING ROCK BOTTOM – Emotionally abusive spouse’s termination of marriage and subsequent overdose with following hospitalization in psychiatric ward.
- DECIDING TO ACCEPT MYSELF AS I AM – Rising up against discrimination and oppression and finding the silver lining in self-acceptance despite growing pains.
- LEARNING MY SELF WORTH – Finding the beauty in self-acceptance by shifting focus from negative self-attributes to positive ones.
- HOW SELF ACCEPTANCE IS WORKING OUT FOR ME – Learning to have faith in the Universe and trusting that the path I am now on, is the path I am meant to be on.
CLOSING — Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. Confucius
And then my mom cuts me off, and this is the quick ending: